Need comfort during Ramadan? Here is a healthy but gourmet recipe for lentil dahl that everyone will envy you!
An Indian vegetarian dish par excellence, the lentil dahl is sufficient on its own but it can also be served as an accompaniment to meat or fish. It can also be enjoyed cold or hot with a naan (typically Indian) or pita bread. “Dahl” is the name used for legumes (mostly lentils and chickpeas) in India and Nepal. This vegetable mixture is prepared with all kinds of lentils but the most common recipe uses coral lentils. Here is our easy dahl recipe for natural coral lentil dahl to prepare during Ramadan.
What is a lens dahl?
Lentil dahl is a lentil-based vegetable stew that mixes many spices and sauces. While many recipes are made with tomato sauce, coconut milk is also widely used in lentil dahls. When it comes to vegetables, it’s common to find spinach, carrots, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, and mushrooms. This meatless recipe is a must in a country where about a third of the population is vegetarian. The lentil dahl is the basis of the daily diet in India.
How is dahl eaten?
Rich in protein, dahl is a complete dish in itself. It can be enjoyed in soup, as an accompaniment to a meat curry, as the main course, or, most often, with rice. Combined with other cereals, dahl is also delicious. It is also possible to make this recipe more complete by adding chicken to it. You will then not need to combine it with other ingredients.
The recipe for the super simple coral lentil dahl
Head to the grocery stores specializing in the spices of the world and treat yourself to this recipe as a reward of the day!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 300 g coral lentils
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 50 cl coconut milk
- 1 cuil. soup of ghee or olive oil
- 50 cl vegetable broth
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 200 g spinach shoots
- 1 cuil. ground cumin coffee
- 1 cuil. coffee from mustard seeds
- 1 cuil. ground coriander coffee
- 2 cuil. turmeric coffee powder
- 1 yellow lemon
- 1 cuil. to coffee from garam masala
The preparation steps:
- Prepare the vegetables. Rinse and drain the coral lentils and peel the onions and garlic. Finely chisel the onions and squeeze the garlic with the ginger.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the onions in ghee or olive oil if you don’t have one. Then add the squeezed ginger, spices and garlic cloves. Cook.
- After a few minutes, add the lentils, coconut milk, crushed tomatoes and broth. Mix before simmering for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the dahl is cooked, add the spinach shoots and lemon juice. Mix.
- Serve the dahl with a naan or with basmati rice. In this case, discover our tips to succeed in cooking to perfection!
Don't miss interesting posts on Famousbio